Well today’s Daily Prompt is about text speak… How do you communicate differently online than in person, if at all? How do you communicate emotion and intent in a purely written medium
Well how do I communicate? Well to be perfectly honest, I can’t get my head around all this abbreviating and using the likes of BBL, BRB or CUL8R…thank god for the proverbial internet slang guide… where you can check out what all these abbreviations mean.
But when you only have 140 characters on the likes of Twitter, you have to learn pretty quick. And I do think that sometimes you can lose the context of message with too much abbreviation.. Please Twitter gives us some more characters.. 160 would be nice..Maybe it is because I am in, what the son would call the old-gits lounge, that problems arise.. You know the place I mean, the place where technology has to be explained to us, not one but several times before it starts to sink in.. My family knows, that when I have that total blank look on my face.. that is it.. the technological side of something has just whooshed over my head.
However, to find that you are not the only one and that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David ‘Dishface’ Cameron is not better at this text speak does make my day.
Yes he friend (cough) Rebekah Brooks told the Leveson Inquiry this about their communications. And The Guardian reports, the following:
David Cameron exchanged up to two text messages a week with Rebekah Brooks during the last general election campaign, often signing off with “DC” or sometimes “LOL” – until she explained that the latter phrase meant “laugh out loud”, not “lots of love”.
But as time is progressing, I am becoming more accustomed to using this language that is like a whole new way of life. Mind you my favourite slang term so far does have to be ST*U. 😀
- Weekly Photo Challenge ABOVE | 2013 Weekly Photo Challenge Blog
- Imagining the author | idiotisms
- May 4 Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Nadeen’s Corner
- Not the Boy Who Cried Wolf | Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text, World « Mama Bear Musings
- 6 The Big News: DPChallenge | Sofie’s Diary
- Netizen/Citizen | Sofistikeyted
- I Don’t Want To Be Politically Correct I Just Want To Be Left Alone | The Jittery Goat
- Ghost in the Machine | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Let’s talk | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: it’s A Text, Text, Text World | Morrighan’s Muse
- A bumpy ride on the communication see-saw | Formally known as Verity
- Daily Prompt: Communicating in Cyber World | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Communicating in Cyber World « My Blog portions
- Daily Prompt: It’s a Text, Text, Text, Text World | Lines by Linda