Daily Prompt: Take Care

Spatient cartoonorry about not blogging much in the last few days but I have had a flare-up of Polymyalgia Rheumatica and my left shoulder is taking the brunt of the agony again.. with the muscles aching and feeling like lead.  Anyway today’s Daily Prompt is Take Care and WordPress asks: When you’re unwell, do you allow others to take care of you, or do you prefer to soldier on alone? What does it take for you to ask for help?

Ok I admit it, I am very independent and I won’t succumb to illness and to be perfectly truthful I must be a terrible patient.  I won’t give up and don’t like being pampered.  I hate feeling ill… and I like to do my own thing.  For instance, as much as my lovely husband helps me around the house when I am having one of these flare-ups.. he doesn’t do things like I do them and that I find frustrating.

Nobody can hoover the floor like I do 😀  Nobody can dust like I do 😀  And I hate being the one that can’t do these things.

And do you know what the worst part is, my body at times won’t allow me to do things and yet my mind won’t accept the fact.  I get frustrated, depressed and down right miserable at times, because I can’t do what I used to do.

I had always thought depression was one of those things that you had to fight… you were in control and you had to pull yourself together in order to fight it.  But I have learnt different now.  I have learnt that depression creeps up on you and before you know it.. you are in this world where no matter what you do, you can’t fight it.. you can’t pull yourself together ..  Illness is one of the reasons you can get depressed.  You get fed up of aching, you get fed up of not being as active as you were and you when you suffer from Polymyalgia Rheumatica you begin to think there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

But, I try to not get too depressed and although I find it hard to accept the help of others, I know deep down, if they withdrew their help.. I would be in a bloody state at times.  So for my dear hubby, who is my soldier, who is my helper, sorry if I get narked at times.  I am sorry if I bite your head off.. I don’t mean to… it is just having to live with this debilitating illness just gets to me at times.

1. Listen to Your Own Body | Daily Prompt: Take Care | likereadingontrains
  2. Depression | From Five to Fifty
  3. Sick day | Geek Ergo Sum
  4. That Time I Got Hit By a Car in Bangkok | Paths Unwritten
  5. Take Care | Musings from a practical mystic
  6. Take My Hand | It’s a wonderful F’N life
  7. Loads of tea | Spunky Wayfarer
  8. S.O.S. | Misifusa’s Blog
  9. Get up, get dressed and go in. And if you still feel unwell later, call me. | thoughtsofrkh
  10. Take Care: Unwell but not Undefeated | Mary Angelini Photography
  27. Why I Hate Analgesics (But Love Being Sick) | windandlaughter
  28. “Catastrophy” | Multifarious meanderings
  29. Take Care | The Nameless One
  30. HELPING 15,000 PEOPLE | Standing Ovation, Seated
  31. Put the kettle on | hansolosvagina
  32. Taking care of ourselves | That Socially Anxious Atheist Paranoid Gay
  33. Daily Prompt: Take care | Thriving Pessimist…
  34. Lost the Battle, but will win the war | My Brain Lesion and Me
  35. Daily Prompt: Sickly Situations | Jane’s Journal
  36. Daily Prompt: Take Care | A Hedonistic Wander
  37. Daily prompt: Take Care | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
  38. Daily Prompt: Take Care | My Infinite Balance
  39. Daily Prompt: Take Care | writinglikeastoner
  40. Addiction | Lewis Cave
  41. What does it take to ask for help? | tornin2’s Blog
  42. Daily Prompt: Um…Help? | One Starving Activist
  43. Daily Post Take Care | mountainmae
  44. Unwell | The Cutter Rambles
Advertisements

19 Comments Add yours

1. yashikibuta says:

Same here, when I am sick and my partner tells me not to do anything, I can’t just sit and let them do the cleaning and laundry because I will just re-do them anyway. They won’t be able to do it the way I want them clean. that’s the OC in me 🙂

1. Bren says:

I know how you feel… I do find myself, sneaking out and wiping the sides down in the kitchen all over again… or putting the duster around when they are not looking. The trouble is the hoover noise gives the game away, so I leave that one alone. 😀

1. yashikibuta says:

lol!

2. Maria ( like many others in my Country) says:

despite us being on opposite sides I understand what is happening.
    I wish you the best. At least I wish you can have periods of pain relief.

I just had a shoulder and I know how hard it was for me.

As in your case, widespread pain, I realize …….. be very complicated.

I’m sorry.

( sorry for my no english)

1. Bren says:

Thank you Maria, I have my good days and bad days.. at the moment I think this could be related to a reduction in the steroid dosage. Anyway in a couple of weeks I am back at the hospital.. so will see what Rhuemy has to say about this. Probably increase the dosage again. 😀

3. TammyeHoney says:

I hear you so loud and clear…I broke the ring and pinky on left hand this weekend and can’t even do dishes properly. Hope you feel better soon. Thank you for sharing with your readers.

1. Bren says:

Sorry to hear about your fingers.. ouch… I broke one of mine years ago and it was painful. There is nothing they can do except bind them together and give you strong pain relief. Hope you feel better soon. xx

1. TammyeHoney says:

Knowing that I hugged my advil bottle and wrapped them myself. lol…saved a little money.

4. I find it very hard to be taken care of. It has always been my role to be the mender, soother, fixer of my loved ones. My dad took to his bed when sick and wanted to come out when he felt better. He compared it to how a dog deals with illness. I mirror that. Just leave me alone and I’ll let you know if I need something.

I deal with rheumatoid arthritis. I do not like having anybody else do the things I have always done for myself. I refuse to hire someone to come once a week and clean for me. My husband says he will do it but doesn’t. So I muddle through what I can and don’t sweat the other stuff. I do not want to give up my independence. Yet I mourn for the days of tackling remodeling projects in my home by myself. Nobody else ever shares my vision. (smile)

This was a very interesting post!

1. Bren says:

I know exactly how you feel… to remember the things you could do and at times now even the most simplest of things seem such an effort. I don’t know about you but if you deal with the illness through medication you then have to deal with the side-effects of the medication.. It seems one vicious circle at times. But like you I just muddle through, mind you the dogs were not too impressed this morning when they got showered in coke, when I dropped the bottle and it fizzed out the top. 😀

1. Without the meds I would be useless. If I had to decide to stop them because of their cost ($$$) then it would be a major decision to do so. I do OK. I just hate being a shadow of myself.

1. Bren says:

At the moment I am cutting down the dosage of the steroids.. and I am starting to feel the niggly aches coming back.. I think that is what gets you down, when you can recollect how you were and how you are now… I know it gets me down at times.

Please feel free to comment on this post...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s